Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? It is unlikely to affect your weight. Ovarian cyst becomes a problem in women when it does not disappear and keeps growing bigger.
With time, it tends to add more weight to you as an individual. If you find yourself in such a situation, this article is meant to guide you.
What Does a Laparoscopic Ovarian Cystectomy Mean?
Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? An ovarian cystectomy is a surgery performed to remove sac-like fluid pockets (cyst) from your ovary (a woman’s reproductive organ).
These cysts cause problems in menses and infertility. There are various techniques for the procedure, such as:
‣ Laparotomy: In a laparotomy, your surgeon makes a long cut on your tummy to reach the ovary and remove the cysts.
‣ Laparoscopic Surgery: It is a keyhole surgery where small cuts are made on your tummy. Gas is blown into the belly to allow the surgeon to access your ovaries.
Then a small, tube-shaped microscope with a light at the end is inserted into your tummy through these two to three holes so your surgeon can see your internal organs, remove the cysts, and close the small cuts with dissolvable stitches.
Nowadays, a laparoscopic method is mostly preferred because it is less painful and has a quick recovery, small scar, and a short hospital stay.
What Causes Ovarian Cyst?
Most ovarian cysts develop as a result of your menstrual cycle. There have been a number of postulated or possible causes of ovarian cysts in women. Some of these causes include:
‣ Having some hormonal imbalances
‣ Having a medical condition known as endometriosis
‣ Being pregnant (especially in the early stages of the pregnancy)
‣ Having severe pelvic infections
What Can Help Me Recover Faster?
Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? Your body takes time to heal the surgery incision and get fit and well again after a laparoscopy. Recovering after the surgery is a very personal experience.
If you follow the advice given by your doctor, you may achieve it faster. Most women feel better within the first week after surgery. You can follow some tips to help you recover faster.
1. Establish a daily routine and keep it up, such as early sleeping and rising. Wash and get dressed every day.
3. Quit smoking to lessen the chances of wound infection and chest problems.
5. A positive outlook and attitude toward your disease and healing will fasten the healing process.
6. Do not lift, push, or pull any heavy object for a few weeks.
7. Avoid immediate strenuous long journeys.
- How to Call in Sick to Work Even in Good Health
- Best Part Time Jobs For College Students
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Business Degree?
Treatment of Ovarian Cyst
Most ovarian cysts disappear on their own. Your doctor can also give you medication. Some ovarian cysts do require surgery (for example laparoscopy and laparotomy)
Can I Prevent Ovarian Cysts from Growing
Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? Ovarian cysts can’t be prevented. However, routine gynecologic examinations can detect ovarian cysts early. This ensures that changes in your ovaries are diagnosed as early as possible.
What Can Slow Down My Recovery?
Your recovery process may slow down and can take longer to feel good if you
‣ Had serious health issues such as diabetes that may increase your risk of infections.
‣ Smoke. It may increase your risk of a chest or wound infection during the recovery process.
‣ Drink excessive alcohol that can delay the healing process.
‣ Had excessive weight at the time of your surgery. If you are overweight, it may take longer to recover from the effects of anesthesia, and there are higher chances of complications such as infection and thrombosis.
‣ Had any complications during your surgery.
‣ Use certain prescription medications such as anti-clotting medicine.
What are the Possible Complications?
Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? Complications include:
‣ Cyst returns
‣ Need for removal of one or both ovaries
‣ Blood clots in the legs
‣ Blood clot traveling to your lungs
‣ Damage to the bowel and bladder
‣ Bands of scar (adhesion) stick tissues or organs together
When to See a Doctor?
Will I lose weight when they remove ovarian cyst? See your doctor if you have
‣ Burning and stinging pain while passing urine or passing urine frequently.
‣ No urine in the last 24 hours.
‣ Red and painful skin around your laparoscopy scars.
‣ Increase in tummy pain with fever, loss of appetite, and vomiting.
‣ Painful, red, swollen, and hot leg or difficulty bearing weight on your legs.
‣ No improvement in symptoms.
We believe you have been properly guided. Please leave a comment in the comment box below. Feel free to share this article with friends and loved ones.